Since I started this blog, I have maintained an interest in various blog commenting services. Back in November 2007, I experimented with SezWho and also reviewed three more similar comment tracking services before finally settling on Disqus.
Competition is obviously a good thing but this is proving a tough climate for small, Web 2.0 companies competing in a small, overcrowded marketplace and we have recently seen some consolidation in this area.
- SezWho - Unfortunately, SezWho ceased trading yesterday with a recommended upgrade path to JS-Kit.
- Disqus - still going strong with recent announcement of improvements to performance and UI.
- coComment - still going albeit with a horrendous interface.
- co.mments - consigned to the dead pool.
- commentful - still alive. For now.
The two main commenting services that appear to represent serious competition for Disqus are IntenseDebate and JS-Kit although I have no personal experience of either product. Anyone out there used them ?